First off, I want to put a disclaimer that almost every question/statement I have listed below came from a well meaning person. I'm sure I would ask some of the same things, as I've always been fascinated by twins. So most of the responses below are really tongue in cheek. I have been asked every question below multiple times, so after the first 5-6 times, these sarcastic remarks do run through your head. So please take these with a grain of salt... ;)
- Are they identical? Well let's see here...one has red hair and one is a brunette. This means they are NOT identical. Identical twins are basically clones of one another and are very difficult to tell apart.
- Then others say this: They're twins?!?!?!? But they look nothing alike! Ah, you got me. I totally made it up for the attention. I forgot all twins are identical and there is no such thing as fraternal or boy/girl twins. ;)
- This next one kills me: "Uh oh...double trouble!", or "You're in trouble now!" I've never looked at a family who had two or three kids and thought they had double or triple the trouble. Why is it that two babies at the same time mean trouble? I usually come back at them with, "No, I'm doubly blessed!" (Although yes....they can give me quite a bit of trouble some days....just don't say this to a mom)
- "Are they natural?" Are your boobs natural? Is your hair color natural? If you wouldn't go up to a woman and ask her if her boobs were real or natural, then PLEASE....NEVER ask this! My boys are not robots. They are human beings just like you and me, so I'm not sure how they could be anything but natural. Such a weird thing to ask.
- "Did you use fertility treatments?" or "Were they conceived naturally?" Oh boy....this is another BIG no no. Do you want to know if my husband and I did the hibbity dibbity at home or in a jar? Do you want to know if I took pills or shots or hormones or anything else that is TOTALLY NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS?!?!?!? Do I come up to you and ask you about your sex life....no? Then DO NOT ask me about how my kids were conceived! :)
- "My husband's brother's wife's great uncle is a twin." I'm never sure what to do with this one. Is there an award for this? Do you feel some special connection to me now? Yeah...I just give the usual smile and nod, lol.
- "My kids are 10 months apart, that's just like having twins." Let me make this perfectly clear....NO, that is not that same as having twins. Two babies, carried together in the womb, delivered together are twins. You have no idea what it's like to have brought home two babies from the hospital, have two babies wake up screaming at the same time around the clock. You have no idea what it's like to have two babies go through the exact same developmental milestones at the same time, teething, crawling, walking and potty training all at the same time. Please....your Irish twins are NOT the same as having twins. Yes I'm sure they can be difficult, but definitely not the same. And no, it's not a competition, it's just different.
- "Did you breastfeed?" Another invasive question that really shouldn't be asked. Then when I tell them I did (because quite frankly, I'm darn proud of that accomplishment), I get "WOW, how did you do that?!?!?" Well, let's see here....typically women are born with two breasts, and that sorta works out with two kids. ;)
- "Did you plan on having twins?" Um, no....I planned on getting pregnant with one baby. Most don't hit the sack with the hubs and say "Honey, let's make some twins tonight!!!" ;)
- "You look like you've got your hands full!" Ya think?!?!? Thanks for the snarky remark. Now why don't you open a door for me?!?!?!
Now I know there are many more, but I figured I'd give you 10 of the best. Now none of these questions/statements really make me mad or anything, as I know twins are pretty darn neat. I know people are curious and all, but before you open your mouth to a twin mommy....please think about what you are going to ask/say ;)